Pages

Monday 22 April 2013

Mussels steamed in cider with hop shoots

This is our first spring in the new house. The garden cautiously brushes colour onto the bare branches and weather-beaten soil; previously concealed Primroses, Crab apple blossom and Sweet violets emerge in a gentle April flourish. Part of the joy of being new to the area is discovering what the nearby hedgerows have to offer; this morning Amelie and I found an expanse of hop shoots growing just yards from our front door; hence their inclusion in this quick mussel recipe...

1.5kg Fresh mussels, rinsed and de-bearded
A good handful of fresh Hop shoots
2 Banana shallots, finely chopped
A wine glass of dry cider
Olive oil
Finely chopped Ramsons to serve (optional)


In a large pan, soften the shallots in a little olive oil for about five minutes, then stir in the hop shoots for a further three. Tip in the mussels, pour over the cider and then pop the lid on the pan. Cook for about six minutes, until all of the mussels have opened. Serve with a sprinkle of finely chopped Ramsons and crusty bread.

19 comments:

  1. This is the first time I see hop shoots used in cooking outside of Italy where I am from. I planted two plants in my garden so I can eat them next year. I wish I could find some local chef who would use them, I wonder why nobody knows that they are delicious!

    Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing photo, thanks for recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are delicious Laura! They're very common where I live, and Free! Many thanks for the kind comment AteGood :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow, your photos are fantastic. It's a good thing I'm not hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe, you're never not hungry.....or thirsty for that matter.

      Delete
    2. What do you mean by that statement? ;)

      Delete
  5. Lovely photo and recipe, have linked to this, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. This short article posted only at the web site is truly good.www.bestonlinephotostorage.net/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really very informative article, thanks for sharing and I'm waiting for you next such like this one. Get some more info about photo editing below
    Image clipping path | Image Masking Service | Photo retouching services | Removal image background | Ghost mannequin effect

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your beautiful post. You can get these services here.
    Ghost Mannequin Effect

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you looking to promote business then visit this Classified ads Posting i am providing my service in $5.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this articles this is really helpful for me. We are providing services for your old image to make it new. You can avail this Image Restoration Service

    ReplyDelete
  11. The article is very useful for photographers. Keep up the good work.
    Clipping Path Service Provider Company

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very well made seafood as well as great photography. I liked it very much. Thanks for sharing with us.

    Clipping Path Service

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks very appetizing. I would love to try some!
    Photoshop Spot Retouching

    ReplyDelete